Windows Memory Diagnostic (WMD) is a RAM tester that scans, tests, verifies and determines the Random Access Memory (RAM) on the computer for errors or problems due failing or faulty physical RAM or memory system hardware. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests, yet it’s easy to use and fast.
Windows Memory Diagnostic has to be run from either a 3.5-inch floppy disk or a CD disc. Microsoft, the utility provider, has a documentation for the utility, but it’s not necessary to go through the long details. Here’s the brief guide on how to set up Windows Memory Diagnostic on a 3.5-inch floppy disk or CD-ROM, and then run memory test.
- Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic setup installer mtinst.exe.
- Run the mtinst.exe start Windows Memory Diagnostic Setup.
- Click either one of the two options:
- Create Startup Disk to install Windows Memory Diagnostic to instantly write the RAM tester on a floppy disk.
- Save CD Image to Disk if you want to create a CD-ROM that you can use to start your computer.
- If you select to create a Startup floppy disk, insert a formatted floppy disk into floppy drive, and then select the floppy disk drive from the list provided. Finally, click Create. When the installation is complete, the Success dialog box will appear.
If you choose to save CD image, select a location where you want to save the ISO-9660 image and then click Save. When the file has been saved, the Success dialog box will appear. Then burn the ISO image to a blank CD disc.
- Turn off the PC.
- Remove all RAM memory module except one stick.
- Restart the computer.
- Insert the Windows Memory Diagnostic installed floppy disk or CD into floppy drive or CD/DVD-ROM drive.
- Ensure that the boot sequence in motherboard BIOS is set to boot from floppy disk drive or CD-ROM or DVD-ROM first, instead of hard disk drive.
- Windows Memory Diagnostic loads and its interface appears. After loading, the first test pass begins and continues until complete, unless you pause or exit Windows Memory Diagnostic. Once the first test pass consisting a series of 6 tests is complete, WMD will report if it manages to find another error or fault. If no error, Successful will be shown.
If there is failure, the piece of memory module is likely faulty. User can try to turn off the computer, and then reseat the memory module on its slot, or move it to another slot, and run the test again. It’s also possible to press T key to run extended and thorough test.
- If no problem found, hit X key to exit from the test.
- Insert another piece of RAM module (you may or may not want to remove the previously tested module, but if you not removing it or them, the newly inserted piece will be the culprit if any error found).
- Restart the computer with RAM memory test floppy disk or CD inserted, and repeat the testing process again.
- How To Enable Windows 8 Aero Glass-Style Transparency Effect
- BBC iPlayer Finally Arrives on Windows Phone 8 Free Download
- Viber Desktop for Windows & Mac Desk with Video Calling Feature
- Enable SugarSync to Sync External USB and Network Drives
- Sony Xperia ZR Waterproof Smartphone Allows Underwater Full HD Video Shooting