To educate and equip school kids nowadays with technology skills and knowledge, the world no 1 seller of personal computers, Hewlett-Packard, has unveiled a low-cost mini-laptop that targets school kids particularly. Parents who encourage their kids to learn computer skills can purchase this miniaturized laptop, HP 2133 Mini-Note PC, at a starting price of less than US$500.
The HP 2133 Mini-Note PC weighs at slightly more than two and a half pounds and features a large 8.9-inch diagonal WXGA display, user-friendly full keyboard (QWERTY) and touchpad. This mini laptop is designed for the education market and targeted mainly at school kids or students . Hence, many features and functions for industrial use have been scaled down. Students or school kids can use it for surfing the internet and other basic functions such as word processing.
Instead of using a processor from Intel or Advance Micro Devices, the HP 2133 Mini-Note PC uses a single-core C7-M microprocessor from Taiwan-based Via Technologies Inc. The clock speeds can achieve up to 1.6 Gigahertz. Since this mini laptop is designed for students’ use, HP has also taken into consideration kids’ behaviour as its design factor. For instance, knowing that kids are always careless and seldom take good care of their things, this mini laptop features a scratch-resistant display and magnesium hinge bracket to give better protection. Besides that, this laptop is also installed with an HP 3D DriveGuard which will function as a controller to signal system to shut down the hard drive upon sudden movement or shock by using a three-axis digital accelerometer chip. Parents will not find any optical drive for this mini PC. However, it can be purchased and installed separately. The exclusion, according to HP sources, is because many schools want to prevent students from playing unauthorized games.
A summary of the HP Mini Laptop: -
• Simple, refined design and anodized aluminum shell that is sleek and sturdy yet lightweight;
• HP DuraKeys, featuring a clear coating applied over the notebook keyboard that protects the finish and printed letters and characters;
• An HP 3D DriveGuard, which sends a signal to shut down the hard drive upon sudden movement or shock by using a three-axis digital accelerometer chip
• Scratch-resistant display and magnesium hinge bracket
• A large 8.9-inch diagonal WXGA display, user-friendly full keyboard (QWERTY) and touchpad;
• Ability to view video, still-image capture, web conferencing or video-enhanced instant messaging with no additional hardware to buy or carry. An optional integrated VGA webcam enables video and still-image capture to allow the addition of photos and video clips to presentations, documents and email;
• Two battery solutions – three-cell for lightest-weight configurations or optional six-cell for longer battery life;
• Wireless technologies such as integrated Wi-Fi Certified WLAN and optional Bluetooth™, allowing students to access the Internet as well as communicate via email, IM, chat, VOIP and blogging. The wireless technologies also enable connections at hotspots as well as with Bluetooth devices such as printers, mice and headsets; and
• Optional Absolute Software’s Computrace allows IT professionals to work with local law enforcement to track and help recover stolen or missing computers, inventory computers district wide and detect changes in hardware and software.
- BBC iPlayer Finally Arrives on Windows Phone 8 Free Download
- Viber Desktop for Windows & Mac Desk with Video Calling Feature
- Enable SugarSync to Sync External USB and Network Drives
- Sony Xperia ZR Waterproof Smartphone Allows Underwater Full HD Video Shooting
- How to Access Files to SD Cards and Flash Key Drives For Modern Windows 8 Apps